Leelou Blogs

Saturday, April 9, 2011

In Memory...

In memory of a great man! My grandpa who lived next door to us my whole life passed away on March 31, 2011. It was very sudden, but it was peaceful. I had to opportunity to use my skills as a CNA in helping care for him for a short time before he passed. Then again, I had the chance to help clean him up before he was taken to the mortuary. This seemed morbid to a lot of people in my family, but it was a spiritual experience for me, and gave me closure as a health profession and as his granddaughter. I don't think caring for any number of dying patients could prepare anyone for taking care of someone so close to you. The week is a blur, but I think Heavenly Father uses times like these to remind us of how blessed we are. The support and love from family and friends have been fanaminal! We love and appreciate all of you! My great friend, neighbor, and my grandpa's other granddaughter, Megan sang with me at his funeral. It was one of the hardest things I've done, but we had to do it with composue, because it was what Grandpa wanted. These words rang true to me as we sang: "His hands are catching your tears, and even without any words he hears. You feel so far, but he's right where you are and He knows every breath, every pain. He knows your heart and he knows your name. The giver of life, the light in your soul. Oh come home, come rest, let him bless your every breath." This was Every Breath by Jenny Phillips and the tears were pouring at the end of the song as Megan and I embraced for the last time next to our Grandpa. Thanks Megan and thanks to everyone for the love and care they gave to Grandpa all these years! He served, and blessed lives and now he has gone home to let his master bless his every breath. We love you Grandpa!!!

2 comments:

  1. Crystal, you sang so beautifully. It is such a spiritual experience to be there when someone passes. The angles could have filled the room if we could have seen them there. Love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal, What a beautiful tribute to your Grandpa. He really is a great man! And he will be greatly missed. We've been praying for your family this week. I know when someone close to you dies, there are countless little miracles that help us through. You living the kind of life you are, is your Grandpa's legacy. Bless your family during this tough time. At least we know where he is and that is a blessing. Love you, Joy

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm lovin life! I am currently trying to pursue my dreams of becoming a nurse and trying to get into the program. To keep those dreams alive I work two jobs and come home to an awesome family & friends that know just when I need a break. My story is just beginning, but the pages ahead are filling up quickly!